The Waverley Route

The Waverley Route was the North British Railway’s line between Edinburgh & Carlisle, through the Scottish Borders. Opened in two stages, between 1849 & 1862, the railway linked the Border towns of Galashiels, Melrose, St.Boswells & Hawick. It also saw one of the first preservation attempts in the country, which it was hoped would save it from closure, being run as a private venture. It held a legendary status with many supporters and enthusiasts, before closure in January 1969, seeing steam locomotives used right up until November 1967.